Due to the extreme nature of this event, only teams of two will be able to compete. Each team will be required to carry the equipment necessary to sustain them for 24 hours. On registration day, all teams will have their gear checked and judged. This gear must then remain with the racers until the Aspen finish line, where it will be checked again.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR TEAMMATE! TEAMS MUST REMAIN IN VISUAL CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER AND ENTER AND EXIT ALL MANDATORY CHECK POINTS TOGETHER. IF YOU SEPARATE FROM YOUR PARTNER, YOU PUT HIM OR HER IN JEAPORDY, AND YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND REMOVED FROM THE COURSE.
- Racers will compete on skis, of any type, and must finish with the same gear they started with. Due to the unpredictable nature of this course and the certainty of variable spring conditions, the race organizers strongly recommend the use of sturdy skis with at least 3/4-length metal edges. Boots and bindings designed for ungroomed backcountry terrain are absolutely necessary. Please remember, no evacuation will be provided for racers with broken or insufficient equipment.
- Racers will travel in teams of two and must be together at all times. Each team must carry survival gear and be prepared at all times for an unexpected situation, which would require a 24-hour bivouac. This means teams must carry enough equipment and supplies to spend an unsupported winter night in the backcountry.
- Any litter found on the course (energy bar wrappers, gel bottles/packets, etc.) that can be directly traced to a team will automatically disqualify that team.
- Ski retention devices are required on Aspen Mountain.
- The Event Director, Equipment Judges, Snow Safety Director, Medical Director or other qualified race staff will have the ability to disqualify teams they consider unprepared, improperly equipped or in unsafe condition, including physical and mental health.
- More detailed rules and equipment can be found in the race packet you’ll receive after registration. Please also note that the course, certain rules and all aspects of the race are subject to change until the final race meeting on Friday, March 28, 2019 due to weather and snow safety considerations.